Veta Vita Vegetarian

Vegetarian home cooking posted randomly as it is created by me or researched and attributed to others.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Veta Vita Vege Stew

It summer, and it is really hot. Why I am craving stew...I have no idea. But tonight, as I drove home from a job interview I had an uncontrollable urge for potatoes. Not just any potatoes but potatoes in a thick tomato broth seasoned with the juices of complimenting boiled vegetables.

As I scoured the aisled of Whole foods, I filled my hand basket with fresh organic vegetables and other tasty snacks for later (like coconut popsicles...too cool me down after I burn my tongue)

My final result:

1 cup of dried green lentils
1 head of cabbage cut or shredded (I chose to pull it apart by hand)
2 carrots (sliced)
2 red potatoes (cut into cubes or chunks)
1/2 a medium sized onion (chopped)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes (I go for the low salt, straight of the boat from Italy kind, used in many pasta sauces)
1 vegetable bullion cube
2 Tbs of olive oil
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Vegetable seasoning

This hearty stew is both flavorful and filling. And there is very little to no secret to making it.

Add the olive oil, bouillon, lentils, and vegetables to boiling pot of water. Lower to medium heat and let the vegetable simmer in their own juices for ten to 15 minutes before adding the diced tomatoes and seasonings. Cook on medium for another ten minutes before lowering heat. It may take up to 20 minutes over low heat for the lentils and potatoes to fully soften.

Season to taste...you may find that you failed to add enough salt and pepper. But watch your tongue! This savory smelling dish will leave you tasteless. I inevitably burnt my tongue. The colors and the aroma pouring out of my large sterling pot tempted me and I failed to restrain. But even with half of my taste buds, this unsuspected stew was the best dinner I have had in quite some time.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home